Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Sacajawea

I can only think of one thing that I have come to be a part of, and that is hunting. Going elk hunting since I was 10 to our annual place South of Livingston has made me apart of what it truly means to elk hunt. Not only how tough the terrain is to traverse and how challenging it is to down an elk and pack it back to camp, but to hang out with my dad and a few of our good friends to talk tactics about a day's hunt or visiting about life outside camp while in the cool mountains in a tent with the stove going and dinner cooking. Because of this I feel like I have been apart of the hobby, and it is who I am. Sometimes my inner city boy comes out when I'm not doing something that has to deal with working on our place or hanging with friends, but when it comes to hunting season, i ready to saddle my horse and ride into camp ready to work hard knowing that it might or might not pay off on getting an elk. That is what makes it so fun is that every weekend is different so it keeps me on my toes. I feel this is a connection to Lewis and Clark becuase they explored the West for so long, it became a part of them and not knowing what was on the other side of that river bend, hill, or mountain range kept them on their toes to any obsticles that was thrown in their way. I knew what they felt like when they topped a mountain range, because they were so anxious to see that Pacific Ocean of that river going down to the ocean, just like me when I crest a ridge in hopes that I will see elk in the bowl below it. It really keeps things exciting, and if we see what we are looking for we are happy, but if not we may get a little dissapointed, but we still push on to reach our ultimate goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment